Jan 19, 2011

On the one hand...

We're here in our new city. On the one hand, it's really cold and icy and snowy and freezing.

On the other hand, I'm learning to drive on ice. And something in my viking genetics perks up, I think, in the face of this cold. I feel like I'm energized, full of icy water, ready to take off down a ski slope and feel the melting and the spray of powder under me.

On the one hand, My shoulder muscle is strained from lifting so many heavy things, so many times in the course of a few short days.

On the other hand, the house looks really nice and we're keeping most of the boxes in storage so we won't have to pack much again when we move in a few months.

On the one hand, it's a tiny little place. Not many places to go, if you want to get away from it all.

On the other hand, nature is right here, right within walking distance, with acres of pastures, riverbottom, and forest if you want to get away from it all.

On the one hand, my kids have been completely insane these last few days and I haven't had any opportunity to escape them until tonight.

On the other hand, we've grown a bit closer as a family.

On the one hand, the internet we're using right now is illegally borrowed and slooooow.

On the other hand, I haven't had much screen time at all lately. Today, I have talked to my kids more, and practiced the piano for a good solid half-hour.

On the one hand, we missed MLK day.
ON the other, my mother's facebook status, and the picture she posted of my daughters, made me realize, in a way I never did before, how my family is a sort of fulfillment of that prophecy of Dr. King's.

On the one hand, I don't know anyone.
On the other hand, I've met a bunch of friendly people already, and it's a fresh start with no baggage.

On the one hand, I miss everybody back home.
ON the other hand, I've felt an outpouring of love from everyone, and I know now what I mean to them, and I'm glad to know.

8 comments:

Putz said...

on the one hand we love you guys all an awfully lot, and on the same hand that is enough, but love will continue to come at you from the idahoians and on that very same hand, you are such a stalwart that even if there were one hand against you which there is not you would still pererve no thrive is the word i want<><>so now concetrate on the feet and go on many walks with the munchkens all in a row , yes i meant that even in the ice>>>cause they will all thrive<><><>you guys are so so lucky

Amy said...

so glad you made it...sounds like your are taking time to enjoy each other during the change. That's probably the best thing to do. We get so overwhelmed with making sure everything is just so, or perfect, when it really doesnt need to be. Miss you guys!

merrilykaroly said...

:)

michele said...

I'm so glad you all made it!

I don't know if it's the state I'm in right now (crying at the drop of a hat) but this post was just so touching!

Good luck, I've always dreamed of raising my kids near pastures, riverbottom, and forest. They will have lots of adventures!!

Janell said...

Best of wishes as you settle into your new town!

I saw this shirt the other day and thought of you :)

Katrina and Tonio Uriarte said...

I love Rexburg!!! I grew up there. I know that it is cold but I am sure you will have fun in the snow.
My parents live there. Jeff met them briefly when we went with a big group on a hike to Union Falls.
It is small but growing. It seems like you have already noticed some of its beauty. Best of luck. I hope you love it. :)

GerunKnarlson said...

I look forward to visiting you in Idaho. :)

Believe it or not, I actually know the feeling. Big changes in life, good or bad (always a bit of both) that serve to make us grow and come closer together.

Putz said...

maybe you should use one of those free hands and write us all an update on REXBURG or the cllege there, or your little mucchkins???