Feb 29, 2008

Book Review: the Salt Lake City 14th Ward Album Quilt, 1857

I'm starting a new story soon. For the past several weeks, I have been doing a lot of reading and research in preparation. I have come across some amazing information, and overall have found that this project is building my testimony astronomically. I usually don't make an effort to review the books I read, but I wanted to put this one out there: The Salt Lake City 14th Ward Album Quilt, 1857.


This is the story of an old pioneer quilt that the author inherited. It was made and signed by the sisters in the Salt Lake 14th ward; a ward that took in a lot of the prominent church members of the time, including Brigham Young, the Wilford Woodruff and John Taylor families, and many others. The author has taken these quilt blocks and tracked down the life stories of each of the women who made them. There are pictures of the quilt blocks and, where possible, of each of the women. The stories are sometimes incredibly inspiring, and sometimes heartbreaking. I loved reading it, because the stories really touched me, and I loved the feeling of association with the strong, brave women of this era.

No comments: