Dec 10, 2008

meals day four

Tonight we're having fish. I gave Loli a choice, we could either have the turnip-potato-carrot au gratin casserole or fish. And she chose fish. (I knew she would... she loooooooves fish. Loves it. Can you believe it?) Anwyay, I purchased a pound of sole filets at the grocery store yesterday. My two fish recipes are:

1) For white fishies

melt garlic in butter or oil, spoon over the raw fish in a casserole dish. Add sprinkles of dill, parmesan, and bread crumbs.

oh, forgot to say, I put a little salt and pepper on the raw fish, too, and line the sides of the tray with veggies. Tonight I did baby carrots and broccoli.

2) For red fishies (this one is specific to red snapper. It's yummy.)
* 4 tablespoons butter
* 1 medium clove garlic, pressed or minced
* 3 or 4 drops Worcestershire sauce
* 1/2 teaspoon Creole or Cajun seasoning, or your own favorite seasoning blend, with salt
* 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
* 1 to 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
* 1 teaspoon snipped fresh or frozen chives, optional
* 3 to 4 tablespoons plain or seasoned bread crumbs
* 2 tablespoon freshly grated parmesan cheese, optional

PREPARATION:
Place snapper fillets in a baking dish which has been sprayed with a butter-flavored baking spray.

In a skillet, melt butter with garlic, Worcestershire sauce, Creole seasoning blend, pepper, parsley, and chives, if using.


Bake at 425 for about 20 minutes or until the biggest pieces are flaky and white and tender in the middle.


I have a couple salmon recipes too, but never use them, because, well... I can't afford to buy salmon. I bought salmon steaks once, for fourth of july barbecuing purposes. They were sooooooo good but soooooo expensive, too.

Watch out for bones! Even boned fish filets have little pieces in them. I always find one or two. If you're serving to a child under 5, you probably need to cut it up in little pieces and find them yourself; bones can choke. And nobody wants that.

Day 2 of Skywalker Absentia went all right, despite the craziness of taking a toddler and an infant to a crowded ballet recital and having to do hair and run around looking for teachers, etc.

I'm wonder woman! Yes I am.

3 comments:

Putz said...

I USED TO EAT ROE, YOU KNOW WHAT ROE IS DON'T YOU SARHA???IT IS THE WHITE MAP ON THE INSIDES OF FISH, BUT NOT CAVIER...i also used to eat roe that was the inside of another different kind of a fish

David L said...

I'm a fish-atarian. Love fish. Of course, being from Juneau, I kind of have to love it.

If you're ever in Juneau during the summer, go to the Twisted Fish.... They get their seafood right off the boats as they come into the harbor. You can't get fresher than that.

Unknown said...

yum. Putz, that sounds so delicious.

lol.