Sep 8, 2006

Um, Really??

I know that a blog is typically considered to be the arena in which one reveals oneself in much the same way one reveals oneself in a journal. You're supposed to be vulnerable and if something is bugging me a lot, typically I would talk about it here. But the thing is, I have a policy where I don't really discuss the things that I'm dealing with that are also personal to other people, particularly if they're my family or may come across this blog (which is always possible). So... I will not vent today about what I wish to vent about. Instead, I will pick an extremely easy target for my venting.

I was listening to NPR the other day randomly while driving to the library (Loli needed more books to feed her interest in bees, ants, and flowers, as well as another Sesame English Video. Actually, she doesn't care all that much one way or another about the Sesame English videos, I'm the one who loves those. Yet another guilty mom secret.) Anyway, en route to the library, they were broadcasting Bush's address to congress wherein he revealed that there are, in fact, secret CIA prisons.

Link


and

Link

particularly disturbing to me are these quotes:

“It has been necessary to move these individuals to an environment where they can be held secretly, questioned by experts and, when appropriate, prosecuted for terrorist acts,” Bush said in a White House speech.

and

Though Bush said the United States never tortures suspects, "alternative" interrogation methods are used to glean information from them. These procedures "were tough, and they were safe and lawful and necessary," he said.

Also on Wednesday, the Pentagon issued a revised Army Field Manual that requires detainees be "treated humanely and in accordance with U.S. law, the law of war and applicable U.S. policy." (Watch how nudity, duct tape and electric shock are now banned -- 2:28)

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled in June that tribunals convened at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, were unconstitutional.

The High Court also ruled that al Qaeda operatives were protected by the Geneva Conventions, which ban "humiliating and degrading treatment." Bush called that mandate "vague."

Ok, What???? You have got to be kidding me.

The funny thing is (well, not really funny), as I was listening to Our President on the radio, the thought that kept running through my head was He Likes His Cattle Branded.

I dunno why. Why do you think I was thinking that?

Also I don't like this man, I don't like this man, I really don't like this man.

Good thing I can do something about it, right? I don't like it when people vent about our government or leaders and then say that they're not going to even vote because they feel such contempt and hopelessness at the situation. C'mon! If you want things to be better, you need to be a part of the System. Make the government an appendage of you!

GO MITT!!!

4 comments:

Joy said...

Its crazy, the Bush Administration makes this announcement, pleads congress to pass legislation that will basically make it possible to continue to do this to bypass the supreme court. Its an extremely complicated issue and there's only a few weeks before recess and only 2 months before the midterm election. Huh. I hope congress doesn't do anything stupid, that the Country will regret for years to come.

Unknown said...

Yeah... bypassing the Supreme Court. Not OK.

I just felt so much rage, listening to Bush plead in this way to be able to go back to treating "dangerous terrorists" in ways that have been already decreed inhumane and illegal.

And doing it secretly, and putting them on trial in secret, and punishing them in secret... I'm sorry. I thought that we were in Iraq partly because we beleive in democracy, fair representation, human rights?

I think a lot of people don't realize is that, even though these are "dangerous terrorists," as soon as it's legal to treat one man in a certain way, we are ALL in danger of such treatment. What if, for instance, President Bush decided that Mormon leaders were "dangerous," and worthy of secretive incarceration and trial and "tough" interrogation techniques?

This has to stop. And I don't want to hear what Bush has to say about it anymore. Tired of him.

Anonymous said...

It's sad really. I'm what they call a "swing" voter - and I REALLY didn't like Kerry... on the other hand, I don't think Bush has looked far enough into the future either...

I voted for Orrin Hatch - was so sorry to see him withdraw in the Primary.

Unknown said...

yeah... I think I might be categorized as a swing voter, too.


I voted for bush.

:(